Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Loss catches you off guard

About 5 years ago I lost my mom to ovarian cancer. She was only 59. Growing up I was her baby, the youngest of 5. I can admit that I was spoiled a bit. I loved being with her when I was little. I had a lot of food allergies so she always kept me close, just in case. She was my biggest cheerleader and somehow when I talked to her she could make me believe that anything was possible. She taught me how to be a mom, she drove me to finish my education, she supported me even when I came home at 19 pregnant. She had the biggest smile at my wedding and was the most amazing grandmother to my kids. Some days, like today, for no apparent reason my mind floods with memories and the tears start falling. I miss her. This feeling I try to remember when my adopted kids have a rough day. When memories flood their minds when the loss is overwhelming....when you miss your mom. When you just want to feel bad for the moments lost, for the times that won't happen, for the memories that start to fade. Its then that we need families that are here to pick us up, to give us a hug, to believe in us, to let us cry. That to me is what adoption is about. As an adult losing a parent was devastating and I was so grateful for my husband, dad, brother and sisters to hold me up. These kids that lose everything need the same thing too. Not to replace something unreplacable but to love them anyway, hold them up and let them cry.

2 comments:

  1. I just love your compassionate, loving heart and your ability to share it with others. As we have traveled down similar paths...I feel like you sometimes. I want to kick and scream because my Mom was taken, by my standards, too soon. However, I know our God has a plan. I can't imagine how those little ones feel sometimes. I am grateful that they have you for a Mom and know the love that can only be expressed by a Mom because your Mom taught you so well. I love you Emily...and thank you for being you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one of the most amazing people I have ever come across. Your mother was obviously an amazing person, one of the best. Because she shines through in you.
    Have a wonderful day and I'm so glad that I found you!

    ReplyDelete