Monday, January 4, 2010

Some products make me think....

I just saw a product for sale that promised to make my toddler love reading....

Here is some advice from a mom of 7 who love to read and with a degree in education....ready.... if you want your kids to read and love reading..READ TO THEM and take them to the library. Get excited about going as much as when you are taking them to any fun activity. Talk it up as much as we talk up sports. Also my way is very frugal :)

While I am on the subject, the best way to teach your children self control and imagination is not through the latest team or class or toy....let them be bored! Kids who are bored will learn how to entertain themselves by using their imagination. Let them have plenty of free time without you dictating what they will do or where they will go. I would love to buy a small farm just to give my kids more of an opportunity to learn on their own and discover life through being "bored"

I will step off my soapbox now......

4 comments:

  1. Agreed! I love the library! My kids' favorite times are the ones they spend together pretending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. There is something special about watching your child fall in love with reading!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I wish my kids had a library. But, since that is not an option, we try to get a hold of as many books as we can. When we travel to America, we usually use two totes to bring books back. As for imagination, living in the bush of Uganda has a way with forcing the kids to get creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my kids say they are bored, "I say, great!!! :)"
    and everyone in our house loves to read...people think we are weird, but books take us places we could never go! and give us some quiet alone time in a house full!

    ReplyDelete