Saturday, March 27, 2010

Its funny......

I can remember being in school and having to leave for a doctors appointment or be out sick and feeling a weird sense of thrill driving around seeing what was going on all that time I was in school. I remember wondering what life would be like when I didn't have to go to school and I could be free! I remember feeling like such a failure when I brought home less then good grades in Geometry, Technical Drawing and Chemistry. I honestly did try hard in school, if you don't count homework which I was terrible at remembering to do. The thought struck me as I was driving around the other afternoon at 1 when school was in session. I am here I have arrived!!!!!! Well honestly I have been here awhile, it just seems that starting your family while you are in school (college for me) tends to keep you busy enough to keep some thoughts away for awhile. What occurred to me though was more important then the periodic table to my life was my mom and dad teaching me about having a checkbook, technical drawing has never touched my life but more importantly was learning how to drive. Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of education, without it we are a third world nation. However, I am learning that education is just a piece of who we are. Some people are drawn to drawing and end up architects or are excited about chemistry and work in labs or someone who loves geometry...ummmmm to be honest not sure where that leads........ I watch my kids soar in some subjects and struggle with others and I hope I can show them that we all can't be good at everything, nor are we designed to be! Take the things you love and run with it, as for the rest do your best! I find it funny that I spent 13 years in public school and that was what my whole life revolved around and now my kids bring home work that I kinda remember learning about, but since then I have not ever thought about it or used it! Just random thoughts..............

3 comments:

  1. It might seem silly, but what I hope for in terms of education is along the lines of where the world is leading us these days in other areas. We can customize the music we listen to, the tv we watch, everything we buy is all about being exactly designed to fit our needs which are unique. I hope we can one day have an education system that recognizes and caters to each of our likes, strengths and weaknesses. Instead of a standard grade school curriculum, if we could recognize early where a child was most skilled AND what they most enjoyed, we could help them live a life focused on cultivating not only their strengths, but their loves. Imagine a world where we could effectively eliminate the dichotemy of family life and work life. I would always prefer to be with my loved ones, but an existance that meant my work could consist of something I was good at and enjoyed would be such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm raiding your reader list! Such great blogs unknown to me!

    ReplyDelete